Swallowtail Shawl KAL

Friday, November 03, 2006

Starts and Fits

On a cross-country flight, I cast on Swallowtail. After spending a couple of minutes reading (then faking) the cast-on, all went swimmingly. Before we left the west coast I had finished the first lace section and was ready for the lily of the valley section. The silk yarn was heavenly.



On the flight back, I started the complicated business of trying to purl 5 together. I began thinking I should have put in a lifeline--something I have never done before. I always panic when learning a new skill, then get a few rows in and everything clicks, nothing seems hard. You'd think that would give me confidence when I approach that learning curve on a new project--but it hasn't.

But forward I went. I pulled out the extra sock needle to help me and kept dropping it underneath the seat in front of me. Very frustrating. Finally, I started getting the rhythm down.

And I realized I had made a terrible, terribly stupid mistake. In my panic about the p5togs, I had neglected to notice that the two sides are not identical. The lilies tilt in to the center to make them symmetrical. How had I not seen that, or just plain known that of course it was true?

Purl 5 together is hard to do. It is even harder to undo.

Cobwebby-laceweight silk yarn does not allow one to see what one is doing well, either.

So I ran an after-the-fact lifeline, at least as well as I could, through the end of the earlier section--guessing which row was which occasionally. Then I frogged to that line. And I stuck it in a bag and left it to meditate on its misdeeds for a couple of weeks.



Last night I tried to get it back on the needles successfully--but such was not to be.

In a fit of frustration, I frogged the whole thing....

Ah--time for a fresh start. Luckily I have another flight coming up soon!


The Purloined Letter

3 Comments:

  • Oh, I'm so sorry!!!! How awful to have to frog the whole thing! I hope it all goes better second time around.

    I'm still working my way through the Budding Lace, and even though it's a very easy stitch pattern and I haven't made any mistakes, I'm using lifelines anyway. Your story makes me realize it's not a bad idea!

    Your yarn is lovely. It's going to be a beautiful shawl when you are done!

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 2:24 PM  

  • that's tough...but think of how much you'll appreciate your swallowtail...and how great it will feel to finish it...

    By Blogger pinkrainboots, at 4:38 PM  

  • Ow :( Yes, the p5 were not fun to do.. but I guess much easier to undo in heavier weight yarn. You got so far and had to frog? That's really tough. Let's hope all goes well on the second attempt!

    By Blogger ZhiWen, at 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home