Swallowtail Shawl KAL

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Now You See Em, Now You Don't



Two pictures, hours apart. I tried my best with the Swallowtail's nupps, but even when knitting them extremely loosely on the RS, and doing sl2, p3tog instead of p5tog, on the WS, I found them very hard to do. I had a devil of a time getting that very last (or first, depending on how you look at it) knit stitch onto the needle for the p3tog. Trying to make that happen really made my wrist hurt, too.

Still, I persevered and made it to Row 7 of the first Lily of the Valley chart. Then, somehow, I dropped a nupp and that was that. I couldn't figure out how to re-create the nupp. I took it as a sign to let the nupps go, decided to rip back to the lifeline. The shawl's now moving along nicely, sans nupps. I know the Lily of the Valley motif won't be nearly as pretty without them, but they just aren't worth the aggravation.

Despite my nupp woes, I do like this pattern! I can't wait to post a finished picture.

5 Comments:

  • In case you decide to do one more shawl, do as follows with the nupps:
    slip 4 stiches purlwise, purl one and pass the 4 stiches over.
    I made my shawl with this method and didn't have any problems and if I'm not completely wrong this produces a genuine nupp.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 AM  

  • Thanks for the advice! I was doing slip 2 st, purl 3 tog and had a very hard time with that. I really had to "dig" to do the purl 3 tog and it hurt my wrist a lot. Each nupp took about 5 minutes! Not a good using of my wrists or time.

    I may try them another time with a different yarn and needle. We'll see.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 7:53 AM  

  • I have been threading a loop from the working yarn through a no.16 steel yarn needle and then pushing the needle through all 5 stitches from left to right. Pull the needle all the way through, pull out the needle, put the loop on the knitting needle, adjust the tension then carry on. No stress on the wrists and not as frustrating to manage as the crochet hook method others have suggested. I tried anonymous's method, also. I had some troubble making sure I grabbed all the stitches without losing any. My method takes a bit longer but I didn't get that frustrating feel you get when you think you are going to drop stitches. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Mary, at 10:59 AM  

  • I also used the method described above and to clear things up, you slip the stitches one by one and then pass them one by one too. It worked perfectly.

    By Anonymous Lucy, at 10:23 AM  

  • Thanks, everyone. I ripped back and started the Lily of the Valley chart again. The nupps are going OK, sometimes not bad at all! I'm using a size larger needle on the RS, and knitting the nupps extremely loosely, and then using a size smaller needle on the WS, to make the p5tog easier. In fact, the more loosely the nupp is knit, the better it looks.

    Still, I'll be glad when they're done. I wish the Interweave Knits had included a few hints about nupps with the pattern. If it weren't for this knitalong and being able to Google nupps, I'd have given up.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home