Swallowtail Shawl KAL

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Wedding Shawl Challenge: 15 days left!

I've been knitting furiously on my Swallowtail. So far, I've completed 14 repeats of the Budding Lace chart! Now, I'm planning on knitting a *big* shawl, not a "shawlette" as per the pattern. Since I'm using the recommended yarn (Misti Alpaca) and the recommended needle size (US 4), I know I'm going to knit more repeats. The question is, how many more?

So, I tried blocking on the needles:
You can see that I knitted 10 repeats, blocked, then knit 3 more repeats. Ah, the magic of blocking! Each repeat measures 1.1" x 1.1".
Here's a full shot of what I've knitted so far:
Now, there's been a discussion already on how to increase the size of this shawl:
  • Sia from Finland used larger needles and knit the recommended 14 repeats. Her blocked shawl measures 85 cm x 177 cm (33.5" x 70"). Look at her gorgeous pictures of the shawl in a storm! (She did calculate that if she had wanted to make the shawl bigger, she'd need an extra 120 st, that is 195+120=315 st of Budding Lace. Ouch).
  • Risa is using the same exact yarn I'm using, and 14 repeats. I'm waiting for her to block and measure her shawl. We need pics, Risa!
  • The blogless Mary Tess used her calculus skills and realized that 19 repeats of Budding Lace would lead to 11 repeats of the Lily of the Valley chart. Jeri independently came up with the same numbers. Mary Tess also figured out that if you work 16 repeats of Budding Lace, then 4 decreases, you can fit in 9 repeats of the Lily of the Valley chart.

Call me crazy, but I'm shooting for 19 repeats!

4 Comments:

  • I can't tell you what's the "right" thing to do, but I can tell you what worked (or didn't!) with mine. I messed up the math by figuring the edge stitches into my counts, so mistakenly ended up knitting chart A once, then chart B 17 times so that I had a total of 18 buds down the spine. I had calculated that with the stockinette row at the beginning of the first Lily-of-the-Vally chart, it should give me enough stitches, but I was two short on each side - so I ended up adding a second stockinette row to make it work.

    However, by the time I got to the peaked edging chart, I was short stitches. I ended up just fudging the partial repeats, but it worked out OK. I also ran out of yarn, but that had nothing to do with math :)

    In any case, I ended up with a good sized shawl, about 31 by 50 inches in size, so I was happy with that.

    By Blogger Sophie_vf, at 4:56 PM  

  • Its time for bed so I won't be able to post tonight, but I did block my shawl an dput the pictures up on my blog tonight. I'll measure the exact dimensions, but I tried it on and the tip of the triangle was at my waist. Keep in mind that I'm on the tiny side at 5'0". I'll measure tomorrow and post everything here.

    By Blogger CrazyFiberLady, at 11:56 PM  

  • You might want to check Jeri's blog about adding length with an extra Lily of the Valley chart. I just finished mine doing the 19 rows of budding lace in Lavold's Silky Wool on size 8s. I mentioned earlier that you will need to add 4 stitches before working the edging repeats. I just made 4 increases, but Jeri suggested working one extra row of nups on Lily of the Valley chart 2, which would give you those 4...brilliant. Blocked shawl is 87" X 37". It just wanted to be those dimensions and I think I like it, having more ends to wrap around and fiddle with. Will let you know when I unpin later today. Can always reblock. Now I shall have to photo it. What does one do, lay it out on the floor and stand on a chair????

    By Anonymous Angeluna, at 4:12 PM  

  • As Angeluna said, I ended up staying with the pattern recommendation of 14 bud charts then went with three lily charts, lily chart 1 then lily chart 2 then lily chart 1 again. I had to do some fudging on the final chart and you can see more detail on my blog [www.soapquiltknit.blogspot.com]. She is now blocking. :)

    By Blogger Jeri, at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home