Swallowtail Shawl KAL

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Swallowtail Challenge!

So here's the deal: I bravely offered to knit a wedding shawl. I don't know if this makes me crazy or the best friend ever. But this is *the* occasion to get carried away, right? And I wasn't the only one, others were volunteering to do things for the bride ("I can do the invitations!" "I'd love to make the cake!" "you could get married in my garden!" etc). I think we overwhelmed the bride a little... In a good way, of course. :)

Anyway, my words just sunk in this past weekend, when the bride realized that she did, in fact, want a lace shawl. I emailed her a list of links: the Flower Basket shawl (which I've made), Icarus, the Lotus Blossom shawl (which I also made) and the Swallowtail shawl. She picked Swallowtail! Smart bride.

Now, I didn't tell you that I cast on for this shawl before I even got my issue of IK (I begged Iraida to loan me the pattern). In fact, I bought the yarn --Misti Alpaca Lace in a dark sage green-- when the preview went up on the IK website! And I even cast on for this project. And then.... Well... Other projects were calling to me, see?

But now, it's going to be all Swallowtail, all the time. The wedding is in 18 days!! I'm going to post pics so you can monitor my progress. And make bets on whether or not I'll make the deadline.
(Oh, and did I mention I wanted to make the shawl larger?).

Veronique

5 Comments:

  • Veronique, besides my empathy for the frantic knitting you will be going through, I wanted to mention what I found in enlarging the shawl. I knit 19 repeats of the Budding Lace chart 2, which set up the first and second charts of Lily of the Valley perfectly, but you will have to add four stitches across before starting on row 1 of the Peaked Edging chart to get the right stitch count. Other ways to lengthen, only do 16 repeats of BL, adjust stitch count, do borders. Or, add an extra repeat of Lily of the Valley. My shawl is looking HUGE. Will report back once it is blocked. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Angeluna, at 4:59 PM  

  • I should have said..."you will have to add four stitches across row 1 of the Peaked Edging chart to get the right stitch count."

    By Anonymous Angeluna, at 5:00 PM  

  • Ah, heck, no problem! =) I knit up a Lace Leaf for the Knitting Olympics and that was only 16 days. Ok, so the children were a tad bit thinner and the house was a disaster at the end of said 16 days, but we're talking the KO here. I guess the point is that is is doable.

    Another option for a larger shawl is to use fngering weight yarn.

    By Anonymous Ginger, at 7:57 PM  

  • You are such a great knitter and I think you've conquered other projects that are harder than this shawl. I think you'll knit this up in a jiffy and it'll look great!

    By Anonymous Iraida, at 8:02 PM  

  • Thanks for the encouragement! And, Angeluna, I definitely want to know how big your shawl ends up. I wonder what yarn and needle size you are using?

    By Blogger Veronique, at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home